Monday, May 27, 2013

As an Actor, is it Really Possible to Stay Humble WhilePromotingYourself?

The funny thing about being an actor is that you have to promote yourself. If you are pursuing acting as a career there is so much more to it than reading a script or playing a character. If this is to be your career, so much of your time is actually spent on the business side of things. There is just no way around it. Managing the business side of acting is what is will get you your next role or get you to the next level.

This includes promoting yourself. Not just by submitting to casting notices or attending showcases. This day and age it also means utilizing social media to share your work. It's actually a beautiful thing for an actor or anyone who runs a business. To be on the internet, your talents and brand accessible to the whole world at any time. But at what point is it too much? Does it eventually go to your head?

I'm having a lot of fun with social media, but it took me a loonngg time to embrace this side of being an actor. I like to use it to update my friends and those who are interested on my current projects. I may post a link my reel or me acting in a scene. I will post my blog or pictures from on-set. But before I hit the post/send/publish button, I always wonder "am I acting like I'm "all that?"" Mind you, when I see other actors or artists posting their updates or victories, I don't see them as thinking they are "all that." I see that they are simply sharing something that they are excited about and I support them. But when it comes to myself I always hesitate before I publish something.

Although I am confident in who I am and confident in my talent, I never would want anyone to think that I think I'm better than others. There is a difference between inner peace with who you are and downright cockiness. I never want to seem as though I am praising myself or bragging about my accomplishments. (And once again, when others post what they have achieved I don't see them as bragging.) I never want to people to be annoyed because they think I am posting to much. And I always want to stay humble.

There is such a fine line. It's so easy for actors to be narcissistic. I believe it's inside of all of us. So how do you promote yourself but also stay humble? Because as actors we do have to share our talent and put ourselves out there. It's part of our job. Promoting your work can open up unseen doors, and also help keep you focused and energized when things are slow.

For me, knowing and reflecting on the following things helps keep me grounded:

1) That (I believe) every opportunity I have in this career, my talent, and my purpose come from God.

2) Acting is actually not the most important thing in the world. (Even though I have a tendency to obsess, and I mean literally obsess, over it.)

3) You may be "on top" right now but soon things may slow down for awhile. And during your "down time" although things may be slow for you, other people you know are probably doing very well and reaching milestones you have not even made yet. If you don't stay humble this could destroy you and everything you have worked so hard for.

4) It's important to be a blessing for others by supporting their dreams and being genuinely happy for them. While you are hoping to get likes/comments/views on your posts and pages, don't forget to take time to do the same for others. And do it because you really want to. Not because you expect something in return.

5) Realizing that you are not the most talented person in the world. (Or the funniest, or the smartest, or the best-looking, or the most charming.)

6) Making sure you don't forget to thank everyone for their support. I think being on social media can be very overwhelming at times (um hello, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr...) and when you are busy it can be hard to keep track of comments and requests and posts. I know I am not perfect when it comes to replying, but I honestly try my best. It's important to set aside time just to thank people. I try my best because I truly am grateful and you should always show someone how grateful you are for them and their support.

I still feel funny sometimes about promoting myself. I guess maybe I always will a little. As for worrying if anyone thinks I post too much, I guess I have to do what I have to do. I worry more about whether or not it makes someone feel bad if things are slow for them at the moment. I know how that can sting. Not sure how to handle that one. I do think it is important to be sensitive to others, but also it's important to not be afraid to be who you are. I guess in a situation like that its extra important to look deep inside and make sure your heart is in the right place. If you feel a nudging not to post something at a particular time, then wait.

I'm assuming that there are other aspiring actors out there struggling with the idea of having to promote themselves as well. It's all about finding balance. I feel it's okay as long as you are just sharing and not speaking about "how talented you think you are," or "how great you think you are." Let others speak about awesome you are at what you do. And when they do, be gracious. When it comes to how often you should post, that will depend on you and your brand. Do what comes naturally. Make sure it isn't forced and that it is something you genuinely want to say or share. I personally don't think much of it when others post pretty frequently. For me, I try to keep it somewhere in the middle.

And don't forget: sometimes you don't need to give away all the details or talk too much about specific projects you are working on. Sometimes if you have something extra special in the works, it's best to keep it quiet until the right time.

So, is it possible to really stay humble while promoting yourself? I think so. Even if sometimes we do need little reminders. ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Promoting is so necessary but so difficult at the same time. Your #4 is really key to staying humble, I think, and #5 too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s a blog with full of latest and spectacular information’s – This blog has helped me to gain much more information. I would like to appreciate the blog owner for his efforts become an actress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tisha!! Thanks so much for reading and for sharing!! I will definitely check out this blog.

      Delete